Thursday, June 09, 2005

Pioneers of Education in India - A Tribute

I found a very interesting link in UNESCO's Internation Bureau of Education website which had profiles on 100 famous educators-philosophers, statesmen, politicians, journalists, psychologists, poets, men of religion-drawn from many parts of the world. From this list, I picked NINE thinkers who I thought impacted education in India for good. These thinkers are listed below with a link to their profile on the IBE website.

MALCOM ADISESHIAH (1910-94) *reminded me of how my granddad used to narrate his association with Malcolm Adiseshiah back in his days*

RABINDRANATH TAGORE (1861-1941)

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA (1863-1902) *profile in French*

JIDDU KRISHNAMURTHI (1895-1986) *courtesy my granddad again*

J. P. NAIK (1907-1981)

SRI AUROBINDO (1872-1950)

MOHANDAS KARAMCHAND GANDHI (1869-1948) *not many people in India are familiar with Gandhiji's contribution to education*

MARIA MONTESSORI (1870-1952) *although many would wonder her name in this list, I believe she had a great impact on education in India - partly evident in the number of Montessori schools*

FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE (1820-1910) *not born in India but she had a considerable impact on education in India too*

With all respect, I believe that there are other people in the list (and otherwise) who have had a direct or indirect impact on the education system in India.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home